I am currently researching the new ASP.NET 5 configuration system. Microsoft has re-architected it to provide the following features.
- Strongly typed classes for configuration values
- Automatic type conversion from configuration store to class properties
- Default values for configuration values
- Optional encryption of individual keys using the user secrets store
- Support for multiple configuration objects simultaneously
- Support for multiple environments (development, staging, production)
- Support for environment variables
My company currently uses an internally built configuration library that offers many of these features, but I am happy to see that we can probably retire our library and use the existing config system in ASP.NET 5 now.
Links Gathered During Research
- ASP.NET Docs – Configuration
- DNX Secret Configuration
- Strongly typed AppSettings Configuration in ASP.NET 5
- ASP.NET Docs – Working with Multiple Environments